Episode 56 has BBC100 recommendations (on iPlayer and BBC Sounds for a limited time), 3 poems about the early BBC/radio, and from the Beeb Watch podcast, ex-Radio 4 presenter Roger Bolton. Past, present and future, all mixed in here as Auntie Beeb turns 100 around us.
But our celebrations are a little muted due to some of the changes at Beeb towers - like the cuts to local radio, BBC News and the World Service... But our guest is keeping a watchful eye from afar.
Roger Bolton has just left the BBC, but moved from Radio 4's Feedback to his own independent podcast Beeb Watch. Hear what he thinks the BBC gets right, wrong and what we need to keep a close eye on. Listen to him on this episode, then find his podcast...
- Roger Bolton's Beeb Watch is available from all good podcast outlets, eg: https://shows.acast.com/rogerboltonsbeebwatch
- The 3 poems you hear are:
- 'I am radio' by Eric H. Palmer (publisher in the Sydney Daily Telegraph, 30/09/27)
- A Radio Times letter by Lilian L. Cornelius (August 1928)
- 'In the early days of '23' by Olive Bottle (who signs it as the widow of C. Bottle, Assistant Engineer-in-Charge, London Control Room, Broadcasting House)
- Like us? Considering supporting on Patreon.com/paulkerensa and gain access to videos, readings from old books and monthly behind-the-scenesy updates.
- Or share what we do on Facebook or Twitter. Search for 'bbcentury' and you'll find us on both.
- Paul's new novel will be out on February 2023: https://amzn.to/3zIY9Hq
- Last tour dates of The First Broadcast are in Chelmsford and London: paulkerensa.com/tour
Next time, 100 Years in 100 Minutes (part 1: 1922-54)
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.